Hi! I'm Alex. I'm a software engineer living near Boston, MA. By day I work at a remote startup as a backend generalist and infrastructure/tooling specialist. By night I spend my time exploring niche operating systems like Plan 9, perusing the "smolweb" via internet protocols like Gopher, and sysadmin-ing several servers. Occasionally, I might write about it here on my blog.
Outside of tech, I enjoy playing music, hiking, and a good board game shared among friends.
About This Site
This site is an ever-changing hobby project where I use the markup and build system as an excuse to learn and/or build new tools.
In 2020, I rewrote the site as a series
of man-pages in
writing new blog posts in the language and developing a toolchain
to support feeds, text-only versions,
and eventually a gopher mirror.
At the end of 2021, I really wanted a lower-friction medium to
blog on (akin to the plaintext I was writing on my
phlog). Looking to keep the
site buildable by base OpenBSD as a
I took the opportunity to write my own
lightweight markup parser,
Stay tuned for more!
Projects Found Here
- yet another weblog: Thoughts on tech and life
- euchre.live: A Euchre web-app for my family
- jam-tuesday: An archive of my jam setlists
- uses: Software and hardware that I use
- gopher://alexkarle.com: my gopherhole -- phlog, notes & more!
- https://git.alexkarle.com: A personal git server